JUUL’s appeal to youth

Recent+statistics+have+widespread+appeal+despite+the+fact+of+its+proven+health+risk.+According+to+the+2018+Monitoring+the+Future+survey+more+than+one+in+five+high+school+seniors+have+vaped+within+the+past+month+while+every+1+in+3+have+tried+vaping.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

JUUL’s appeal to youth

Recent statistics have widespread appeal despite the fact of its proven health risk. According to the 2018 Monitoring the Future survey more than one in five high school seniors have vaped within the past month while every 1 in 3 have tried vaping.

Erika Kramer, Staff Writer

Gillian McCauley sits at home watching her favorite show Friends when a commercial about the dangers of juuling interupts her usual commercial phone check.

“Normally, I spend my commercial breaks checking my phone or grabbing a snack, but this commercial with puppets telling their friend that juuling is awful totally caught my attention,” McCauley said.

McCauley is a high school senior who has been immune from pressure to juul but has seen the marketing and use in her hometown of Scottsdale, Arizona.

The FDA announced in October that it plans to ban the sales of most flavored e-cigarettes in regards to the rising number of vape among youth.

“I have always seen commercials against smoking cigarettes but never about juuling so I think the awareness is starting to spread,” McCauley said.

The commercial was FDA endorsed and emphasized negative facts like how one JUUL pod has the same amount of nicotine as 20 cigarettes and the opinion that it might be even more dangerous than smoking.

Juli Rogers is another student who has witnessed JUUL around her. “When teens get to high school they are exposed to the interaction of drugs for the first time so they start with juul, which they think is a safer option,” Rogers said.

Tom White, Dean of Men at Notre Dame Prep, believes nicotine fools students. “Nicotine smoked from juuls is the perfect drug for someone’s head because while they he or she may not think it’s bad, but it is really an active chemical that fits perfectly into brain receptors,” White said.

White takes a different approach to dealing with students who use nicotine rather than drug use. “We have different procedure because nicotine companies like JUUL target youth specifically and our students become victims to it,” White said.

In recent news, an investigation have been launched into the JUUL company examining their market to youth. Although JUUL’s mission statement is to improve the lives of the world’s 1 billion adult smokers, society has started to target JUUL for insincerity.

“It seems like JUUL’s goal is to get young people hooked and addicted to their product that way they are a customer for life even after they realize the high cost, because they’ll give up money thinking it’s worth it,” White said.

“I think it is very easy to persuade teens into buying products that seems cool or are a new trend because they are somewhat naive and the company’s main concern seems to be about making more money and advancing their business,” McCauley said.

According to CNBC, JUUL currently controls 68 percent of the electronic e-cigarette market in the United States and continues to promote their business. “It has been more common to see advertising for juul instead of against it,” McCauley said.

“They have stores all around that sell the juul product and they market using colorful posters and having discounts. Word gets out about specific stores not checking the age requirement to buy the product so more kids think it’s easier to get away with,” Rogers said.

The JUUL design has been commonly mistaken with a flash drive. “Even the design of JUUL targets teens making it easier to hide the device since adults think of it as something else,” Rogers said.

“I don’t want students to hide it because my philosophy is to help defeat addiction and the obstacles in life that things such as juuling imposes upon them,” White said.