The Buzz about Bling: Jewelry a trendy form of self-expression

Maddie Brunsman, left, and Natalie Siller display their Kairos necklaces.

Sabrina Arevalo, Staff Writer

NDP students are rocking all different types of jewelry from Kendra Scott necklaces to Pura Vida braided and beaded bracelets to Alex and Ani charm bangles.

Today, jewelry at Notre Dame is a way for students to displaying their identity. For many students on campus, it is a form of self expression beyond the uniform. 

Senior Sophia Blavatsky wears bracelets, necklaces, and earrings everyday.

According to Blavatsky, she sees a few trends popping up. She notices more name brand jewelry being popular, such as Alex and Annie, Kendra Scott and Pura Vida. She also notices a rising popularity in gold jewelry across the board.

Sophomore Courtney Connor, who also wears most kinds of jewelry on a daily basis, added to this when also asked about trends.

Connor explained that she also sees a wave of silver stackable rings, where people will get sets of rings and wear three to six rings at a time. She added that birthstone pieces in all forms of jewelry are also in vogue.

Though both girls are aware of the trends around them, they both do not personally follow them.

When asked about how jewelry impacts individuality, Blavatsky stated that “It sets me apart because I have a different style.” Blavatsky prides herself on using jewelry to be a trendsetter.

“Someone once told me that the five people that you spend the most time with make up who you are,” said Blavatsky.

Sophia Blavatsky wears her bee necklace from her mother and shows off her other bracelets.

To Blavatsky, jewelry reminds her of who she is and who her family and friends are and their impact on her life. Everyday, she wears a bee necklace that her mother gave her from Amsterdam. She also wears a matching friendship bracelet that her best friend gave her.

Blavatsky wears her jewelry to remind her of the importance of family and friends in her life and to stand out and be a trendsetter.

“I wear what I want to wear” Connor said. She elaborated that she does not follow trends, rather, she just buys jewelry that she likes in general. She explained that she just wants jewelry that makes her happy.

Like Blavatsky, Maddie Brunsman, a senior, also wears a personal necklace everyday: the Kairos necklace.

Brunsman explained that the necklace has both religious and personal significance to her. When talking about her necklace, Brunsman lit up and smiled ear to ear.

Brunsman stated that “It reminds me of my connection with God, but more importantly, reminds me of the connection I had with the other people on the retreat.”

When asked about how this necklace played into her identity, Brunsman explained that she is apart of something bigger than herself; when people see the necklace on her or anyone, they instantly know that the student is part of a welcoming, loving, and supportive group with a positive attitude.

Across the board, different people see jewelry in a different light. Some, like Blavatsky and Brunsman, see jewelry as symbolic and wear it to remind them of religion, friends, and family, On the other hand, Connor just wears jewelry that makes her feel content and confident,

But, across the board, all three girls are proud of who they are and do not let trends influence them. They are all proud to be trendsetters.

• The Buzz about Bling: Jewelry a trendy form of self-expression

Top Stories

Fall drama debuts under guest director

Top Stories

Nine new clubs join fair

Top Stories

Meet NDP’s new faculty and staff

Top Stories

Get ready to ACE this year

Fine arts are on the rise

Are high school students getting enough sleep?

Top Stories

Stereotypes of STEM persist

New ways to deal with technology

Robotics and chess: thriving clubs at NDP

NDP students show a passion for Christian service