NDP hockey teams win tournament titles

Back to Article
Back to Article

NDP hockey teams win tournament titles

The Division I NDP hockey team celebrates (Barbara Geieger/Special to The Seraphim)

By Kaden Macor, Staff Writer

The Division 3 tournament champions (Barbara Geiger/Special to The Seraphim)

Both the Division 1 and the Division 3 Notre Dame Preparatory hockey teams claimed Labor Day Tournament titles at the Ice Den. The NDP Division 1 team clinched a victory over Pinnacle High School after a grueling, 14-point shootout. The NDP Division 3 squad edged Desert Vista High School in overtime.

As D1 player Max Schroder, commonly known by his teammates as Shroden Yoden, said, “Both teams were evenly matched to say the least. If it wasn’t for Dino’s saves in the shootout, we wouldn’t have won the game.”

Time was running out and the stakes were high as the NDP D1 team, led by Coach Joe Dusbabek, managed to capture the title behind the quick hands and saves of  their star goalie, Dino Brunetti.

For the NDP D3 team, led by Coach Charles Miscio and Coach Zach Fryer, victory was achieved in overtime, despite a one-man deficit, as the final goal was scored in the third period by AJ Fryer.

D3 player Jack Liebes said, “Everyone had their heads down headed into the third period. Who knew we’d come back? Especially scoring twice being a man down!”