‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

'So much talent in this group'

Amanda Thomas, Staff Writer

From the minute the show began, the audience was transported from the NDP cafeteria to Salzburg, Austria.

The Sound of Music takes place in Austria in 1938. It tells the the story of Maria Rainer, a woman who left the convent to become a governess for the wealthy von Trapp family. She eventually brings music into the lives of the seven children and their father.

Directed by drama teacher Bonnie Wilson, the show had a detailed set, its pieces forming a colorful backdrop that truly immersed the audience into an Austrian village and set the scene for NDP’s talented actors and singers.

The show ran March 10-11 and 17-18, with 7 p.m. shows on all four days and 1 p.m. matinees on Saturdays.

According to senior and co-stage manager, Renee Grambihler, there were a total of 38 set pieces and among them were five walls, three stairs, a bed, two pillars and four pieces of patio furniture.

The musical’s opening number, preludium, sang by the nuns, just began to highlight the talent that would be showcased. Some of the more recognizable songs such as The Sound of Music, Maria, My Favorite Things, Do-Re-Mi, Sixteen Going on Seventeen, and So Long, Farewell followed suit.

Senior Sophie Rodriguez said, “My favorite scene from the movie has been “Sixteen Going on Seventeen” and their rendition was really well done,” and added, she “really like the scene where the Captain heard the music playing in the house because it’s uplifting, and again really well done by the cast.”

The hard work and talent of the actors were apparent from the opening to the closing number. They truly looked like they were enjoying their time, laughing off and playing down small mishaps, such a falling window inset.

The leads include Gabi Johnson as Maria Rainer, Aidan Gregory as Captain von Trapp, Anna Sera as mother abbess, Natalie Bordar as Liesel, Robbie Bateman as Freidrich, Grace Parsons as Louisa, Brittany Nelson as Brigitta, Julia Ostash as Marta, Jake Brovitz as Kurt and Cayley Brovitz as Gretel. A full cast list can be seen here.

The costumes, designed by Sonya Parsons, brought to life each character. They highlighted each character’s individuality and personality, while still keeping a sense of uniformity. Each of the seven children had seven costumes with eight or nine changes, according to senior Grace Parsons who played the part of Louisa, one of the von Trapp children.

As an NDP theater veteran, Parsons said, “I think it went really well!” and added, “both Saturday nights went best” but overall, “the music went well.”

Though long, at a little under 3 hours in length, the play showcased the tremendous talent and dedication of the NDP’s own actors and actresses.

The caliber and talent is best summed up in the comments whispered between scenes, such as, “It seems professional,” and “There is so much talent in this group.”

• ‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

A&E

Choirs sing loud and proud

News

Ziemann crosses the finish line

Around Campus

Eighth Grade Day Rocks

NDP is Halloween town

A&E

A superb performance by cast and crew

Sports

Markl leads NDP at state swimming

News

Ansel Averitte wins state

News

Eighth graders shadow NDP

News

NDP football trounces Desert Edge

News

Saying a bittersweet goodbye