Five future careers in STEM

Back to Article
Back to Article

Five future careers in STEM

Above: Technology teacher Kyle Diemer helps students in his Innovation and Design Based Thinking class, a new addition to the freshman curriculum at NDP. 
Photo from ndpsaints.org

Above: Technology teacher Kyle Diemer helps students in his Innovation and Design Based Thinking class, a new addition to the freshman curriculum at NDP. Photo from ndpsaints.org

Sophie O'Shei, Staff Writer

With college on the horizon for the Class of 2020, many seniors are envisioning careers in STEM for their futures. STEM stands for  Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, and these fields encompass a large portion of the modern job market. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately ten percent of modern jobs are in STEM, and that number is only increasing. Here are five possible STEM careers to explore: 

• Climate Analyst: As global warming continues to be a pressing modern issue, scientists studying climate change and green energy are in high demand. As described by Purdue University, climate analysts (also known as climatologists) build climate models, analyze climate trends, and work to develop solutions for climate and energy sourcing problems. NDP’s Mrs. Kandi Wojtysiak, an advocate of environmental consciousness and AP Environmental Science teacher, is helping inspire students to further explore careers in environmental science and activism. 
  • Neurologist: With modern science advancing the study of mental illnesses and neurological disorders, neuroscience and psychology are ever-expanding fields. According to Medical News Today, neurologists “focus on the brain and its impact on behavior and cognitive functions.” The brain fascinates a number of NDP seniors who wish to explore these fields in more depth. Erin Alpaugh, for example, hopes to pursue neurology in the future. She aspires to “do research in neuroscience and contribute to discovery … [to make] an impact on others.” 
  • Data Scientist: Alongside technological advancements and increased Internet use comes an ever-multiplying influx of data. As stated by an article from the University of Wisconsin, data scientists interpret large quantities of information from a variety of sources to make valuable conclusions and develop plans for productive action. NDP’s classes in technology and statistics with teachers such as Mr. Kyle Diemer, Dcn. Carmene Carbone and Dr. Annette Siemssen are working to expose students to careers in technology and data analysis. 
  • Biomedical Engineer: Working in the cross-section between biology, medicine and engineering, biomedical engineers create and design medical implants, devices and software, as explained by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. This interdisciplinary field appeals to people with a variety of interests and could be a good career path for anyone who wants to combine many different elements of STEM in his or her career. NDP offers classes in all of the component subjects of biomedical engineering, including AP Biology, Anatomy and Physiology and  Introduction to Engineering and Design. 
  • Dermatologist: Dermatology is one of many growing branches of modern medicine. Dermatologists work to treat disorders of the skin, nails, hair and mucous membranes, according to Medical News Today. Samantha Wetherell is one of many NDP students wishing to become a doctor in the future and hopes to specialize in dermatology. She came to this realization after working with a dermatologist and “seeing the positive impact she had on her patients.” 

As careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics expand, NDP seniors are excited for futures in STEM.