Fall drama debuts under guest director

Cast members of Arsenic and Old Lace from left, Lauren Skemp, Bennett Curran, and Kendall Luther

Skylar Brown, Staff Writer

Terry Temple makes his directorial debut as a guest director for this year’s fall drama production Arsenic and Old Lace tonight. He also will direct the spring musical, tentatively Once on This Island.

Mr. Temple, who has been working as a director for elementary schools, middle schools and high schools for the past 10 years, said he hopes to continue the excellent tradition of theater at NDP.

A long-standing member of the NDP community, his daughter Emily is a 2015 NDP graduate, and his wife, Ginny, used to work in the Advancement Department.

Mr. Temple has chosen to have two casts for the fall drama. 

One cast consists of juniors and seniors, called the uppercast. They will perform will perform at 7 p.m. Friday and at 2 p.m. Saturday. The undercast comprised of freshmen and sophomores will perform at 7 p.m. Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday.

The complete cast list is on the NDP website.

Principal Jill Platt said it is not uncommon for schools to bring in a guest director for a year to bring a different perspective to the stage.

Drama Club president and senior Maddie Brunsman said she thinks that bringing in Mr. Temple will help the drama department and Mrs. Bonnie Wilson to expand the club on campus. Mrs. Wilson has moderated the Drama Club and produced shows for the past 15 years, with the Drama Club being one of the largest clubs on campus

Mrs. Wilson will continue to focus on teaching the acting classes here on campus, building the drama club, and planning various activities and events within the drama department.

Upcoming activities include service projects, holiday themed get-togethers, attending the annual Thespian Festival, and going to different performances around the Valley.

As guest director of Arsenic and Old Lace, Mr. Temple will bring to life the story of two older, murderous and unsuspecting women and how their family deals with murders, crazy doctors, oblivious cops, and the truth in this one-of-a-kind whodunit play.

“This play is special because no character is ordinary or normal,” said sophomore Ashton Rains, cast in the role of Einsten.

Mr. Temple, the cast and crew are putting the final touches on the set, props, costumes and polishing their lines in order to thrill the audience this weekend.

“The show is very funny, and everyone is working really hard to  get it all put together so people should go see it to get a good laugh,” Rains said.

Brunsman, who plays the role of Martha this weekend, said her hopes for the club involve getting new members in the club and in the shows, having a bigger presence on campus and making memories her senior year.

You can purchase your tickets for Arsenic and Old Lace by going to http://www.ndpsaints.org/boxoffice and selecting the date you wish to attend. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for adults. Tickets also are available at the door.

• Fall drama debuts under guest director

Top Stories

Nine new clubs join fair

Top Stories

Meet NDP’s new faculty and staff

Top Stories

Get ready to ACE this year

Fine arts are on the rise

Are high school students getting enough sleep?

Top Stories

Stereotypes of STEM persist

New ways to deal with technology

Robotics and chess: thriving clubs at NDP

NDP students show a passion for Christian service

• A&E

Curtains rises at NDP

Fall drama debuts under guest director