JV football wins by a landslide over Apollo

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior kicker Harrison Wood and the rest of the Saints special teams personnel line up for kickoff  (Mason Siefert)

Junior kicker Harrison Wood and the rest of the Saints special teams personnel line up for kickoff (Mason Siefert)

Mason Siefert, Staff Writer

By: Mason Siefert

Staff Writer

The Saints JV football team took on the Glendale Apollo Hawks on Thursday, September 12th in a game which it was heavily favored to win. The boys came into the game 2-0 after beating Mesa Dobson 33-6 in their first game and then shutting out Avondale St. John Paul II Catholic School 74-0. 

In the first quarter, both junior wide receiver Harrison Wood and sophomore wide receiver Kegan Lynch caught touchdown passes from junior quarterback Billy Kitchen who also ran the ball in for a touchdown, giving the Saints a 21-0 lead. During the second quarter, junior wide receiver Kyle Farrell caught two touchdown passes and junior linebacker Drake Lambrecht had a fumble recovery which led to a touchdown, giving the Saints a 42-0 lead at halftime. 

During the third quarter, Lynch had his second touchdown catch of the game. This gave the Saints a 48-0 lead at the end of the third quarter, and in the fourth quarter, Wood caught his second touchdown of the game. Apollo finally got on the board with a touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Xzavier Bustamante to junior wide receiver Victor Chavez. 

The final score of the game was 54-8 as the Saints won at home by a landslide.  The team takes on Scottsdale Desert Mountain at home in its next game on September 19th.