Football season starts with big win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football season starts with big win

NDP junior fullback JD Roberts attempts to run it in for a touchdown

Rocco Barletta

Rocco Barletta

Rocco Barletta

Rocco Barletta, Staff Writer

This game was the start of a new season for the Saints. After losing big in last year’s state championship to the Peoria Centennial Coyotes, Notre Dame Prep was ready to fight. Despite losing last season’s star, Jake Smith, to the University of Texas-Austin, the Saints were eager to get back on the field and compete against the Betty Fairfax Stampede. 

In the first quarter, the defense for both teams thrived thanks to stars like NDP senior middle linebacker Brock Locnikar and Betty Fairfax senior middle linebacker Elijah Sorillo. At the end of the quarter, the score was locked at 0-0. 

In the second quarter, Notre Dame came out scoring as senior running back Dominic Mastro finished a drive with a one-yard run for his first touchdown of the year. Eventually, the Saints got the ball back and struck with another rushing touchdown, this time from junior fullback JD Roberts, putting the score at 14-0. When Fairfax got the ball back, they wasted no time in moving down the field. A touchdown pass from junior quarterback Flavio Beltran to senior wide receiver Tashaun Lambert. This made the score 14-6 after a missed two-point conversion from the Stampede. Towards the end of the half, senior Griffen Chewning scored a touchdown to push Notre Dame ahead 21-6 and bringing back some energy for the start of the second half. 

In the third quarter, Notre Dame showed their strengths on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. They started the quarter by getting a safety and upping the score to 23-6. Next, junior Sean Lehman returned a punt for 73 yards and a touchdown. After that, Roberts rushed for his second touchdown of the game, and to end the third quarter, junior running back Ian Williamson went for a touchdown, making the score 43-6 in favor of the Saints. 

Once the fourth quarter came around, both teams started to slow down. There was only one touchdown scored between the two, and it came thanks again to Williamson, who scored his second touchdown of the game. 

This wrapped up the first game of the season for the Saints. They showed how powerful their offense is and how great their defense is. The final score of the game was 49-6. The next game for the Saints will be on Friday, August 30th at Sunnyslope High School at 7pm, and the next home game will be on Friday, September 6th at 7pm versus the Gilbert Tigers.