Boys’ b-ball in playoffs tonight

Ryan Mendieta, Staff Writer

NDP Boys’ Basketball has clinched a spot in the playoffs with a win in Tuesday’s Senior Night game, something that has not been done in six years.

With an 11-13 season, this varsity team is among the top 20 high schools in the state. The Saints look to move on in the playoffs when they play at 6:30 p.m. tonight against Paradise Valley High School at PV.

Varsity senior Andrew Salasek described the win on Senior Night Tuesday: “My senior night was amazing.  I had a career high in points, and we ended up winning, which put us in the playoffs.

“It’s great knowing that as seniors we led this team to its first playoff appearance in a long time, and I hope that we are starting a new era of NDP basketball, making playoff runs in years to come.”

Salasek added, “We play PV and we are expecting to go out and beat them again because we are going to play with an intensity that they are not expecting.”

Another varsity player who played well on Tuesday was senior Jeffrey Douglas.

Douglas said, “The most memorable thing of my Senior Night was being able to walk out with my parents and see how proud they were of me.”

Douglas described his attitude of the season and how Varsity Head Coach Kyle Diemer has completely changed the program.

“It feels awesome to make the playoffs because it is what we have all been working for since freshman year,” he said. “Ever since Diemer arrived, I knew he had the coaching talent to turn the program around.”

Regarding the first round, Douglas said, “We play Paradise Valley, and I am expecting that we beat them just like we beat them the last time we played them. Lock down on defense and execute on offense.”

Starting senior Matthew Peters said, ”The most memorable thing about Senior Night was draining three big threes that helped push is over the opposition.”

Peters said being the first Boys’ Basketball team in six years to make playoffs “feels amazing. Leaves a big sense of pride.”

Peters said his expectations were high for the game on Friday,  “I expect a dogfight with little surprises because we have already played each other twice this season.”

Boy’s Basketball’s first and only last state title was in 2007, with head coach Matt Harris.

Boys’ b-ball in playoffs tonight