OSU makes NDP temporary home

The Ohio State Buckeyes pull onto campus to practice for the Fiesta Bowl. Both the football team and marching band used NDP facilities.

Source: NDP Facebook

Quinn Discerni, Staff Writer

The Saints’ home turf saw a different type of action during Christmas break. The Ohio State Buckeyes chose Notre Dame Prep as its practice grounds for the Fiesta Bowl.

The Fiesta Bowl was held on Dec. 31, the first round of the college football playoffs, with Clemson defeating Ohio State 31-0. The competition decided who moved on to the finals to face the winner of the Washington-Alabama Peach bowl. Now that the semi-finals are over, the finals will be between No. 2 Clemson and No. 1 Alabama on  Jan. 9 in Tampa Bay.

According to James Gmelich, former president of NDP, the Ohio State Buckeyes, in the days before the Fiesta Bowl, used the NDP football field for practice. The team arrived on Dec. 26 and practiced on campus for the four days leading up to the big game.

This came as a big surprise to some students. In the words of Ohio State fan and senior Matthew Peters, “I had no idea that they were coming to practice here. That’s crazy.”

The school’s relationship with the Fiesta Bowl is not as new as people might think. Last year, NDP hosted Notre Dame University’s marching band. Just as the Buckeyes used the field to practice football, the band was also able to practice on the field.

Although Bemis Stadium’s turf field is one of the newest facilities in the state, the OSU football team is not practicing there. Because the University of Phoenix Stadium, the site of the Fiesta Bowl, has a real grass field, the team needed to practice on real grass, so that the difference would not affect their performance. Because of this, the team practiced on the grass field next to the gym.

Though no fans were allowed to visit the practices, Notre Dame Prep was able to play a part behind the scenes in the college football practices.

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Top Stories

‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Deep dive: online vs. traditional education

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Commentary

Top memories for Class of ’17

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Competition taking over American life

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

Planning a future in medicine?

• OSU makes NDP temporary home

7 Saints doing cool things

OSU makes NDP temporary home