Sand V’ball in second year

Number of girls trying out tripled this spring

Liah Port, Staff Writer

Since 2010, sand volleyball has been a club sport offered to high schools in the state of Arizona. For the 2016 season, sand volleyball went from being a club sport to an official AIA sport. From only having one division to two, this sport continues to grow as the years progress. The same goes for the NDP Saints Girls’ Sand Volleyball team.

This is NDP’s second year of having the program available to girls. The first season was lead by NDP alumni Class of 2008 and Girls’ Volleyball MVP Sarah Svorinic, and is now led by 2015 Girls’ Volleyball coach of the year and state champion Sara Fox. Assisting her is NDP’s Girls’ Volleyball alumni Frankie Angelone, ’13.

Last year, there was a total of 11 girls at tryouts, just enough to make a team. This year, 40 girls came to tryouts. “I was shocked,” said Fox. “I think it speaks to how great our students are and how much they want to be involved.”

image

Sophomores Devin Douglas, left, and Paige Sanches, serving, competw in a match at SRP. Photo/Liah Port

Recurring player and this year’s team captain senior Natalie Kish was just as amazed: “I am so impressed at the turnout this year!” said Kish: “I am so happy that the program was able to grow in interest for girls who really want to play.”

Lauren Loven, a senior who has committed to play basketball for the University of Denver, wanted to get involved in the program. She is new to the sport and has never played at the competitive level.

“I have grown so much already,” Loven said. “The team welcomed me right in. I love the sport, and I can’t wait for the rest of the season!”

Both seniors agreed that playing sand volleyball not only is about skill building but also team building.

Kish said, “One of my favorite parts of sand volleyball is the strategy that has to be formed with your partner. There is a lot of trickery in sand, and you have to be able to count on your partner to have your back.”

Loven added, “The team has so much energy and is so supportive. Everyone gets along so well, and even though we play in pairs, we still come together as one, and it’s so much fun!”

Coach Fox said she is impressed so far with the direction in which the team is headed. “The girls on the team are learning a lot and having fun doing it. They are a great group this year, and I hope that some students can come out and watch them compete at home [Scottsdale Ranch Park].”

Sand volleyball games are played Mondays and Wednesdays in the afternoons; the locations varies. Bring chairs, snacks, and friends to cheer on your Lady Saints!

• Sand V’ball in second year

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• Sand V’ball in second year

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

• Sand V’ball in second year

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

• Sand V’ball in second year

Top Stories

‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

• Sand V’ball in second year

Deep dive: online vs. traditional education

• Sand V’ball in second year

Commentary

Top memories for Class of ’17

• Sand V’ball in second year

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• Sand V’ball in second year

Competition taking over American life

• Sand V’ball in second year

Planning a future in medicine?

• Sand V’ball in second year

7 Saints doing cool things

Sand V’ball in second year