Ansel Averitte wins state

NDP senior clocks a 21.29 to capture the Division II 50-yard freestyle state championship; Saints finish fourth overall

Ansel Averitte holds his Division II state title medal for the 50-yard freestyle  (Sydney Drew/Special to The Seraphim)

Ansel Averitte holds his Division II state title medal for the 50-yard freestyle (Sydney Drew/Special to The Seraphim)

Churning through the water at his fastest pace ever, Notre Dame Preparatory High School senior Ansel Averitte captured the Division II state championship in the 50-yard freestyle. Averitte, who did not take even one breath in the two-length race, touched the wall in 21.29 seconds, well ahead of his competitor, Harris Temple, a sophomore from Prescott High School, who finished in 21.62. NDP junior Nicholas Salvino was third in 21.67.

Averitte, who tapered his workouts and shaved his legs and arms to reduce resistance, also scored points in the 100 breaststroke, placing fifth in 51.91; Salvino followed in seventh place.

Averitte and Salvino combined with sophomore Connor Markl and freshman William Bansberg for third place in the 200-yard medley relay, behind Chaparral and Verrado.

Averitte, Salvino, Markl, and junior Payton Mueller teamed for a third-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay.

Markl took seventh in both of his individual events: the 200 individual medley and the 100 backstroke.

As a team, the NDP boys finished fourth with 156 points.  Chaparral dominated as state champions with 364 points. The meet was held at Skyline Aquatic Center in Mesa on Nov. 3-4.

• A&E

Capstone: NDP journey from Grade 9 to Grade 12

• News

Exceptional poem written by an NDP Senior

• Ansel Averitte wins state

Fine arts are on the rise

• Ansel Averitte wins state

Examples of dialogue: three student voices

• Ansel Averitte wins state

Solutions to sleep deprivation

• Ansel Averitte wins state

Are high school students gaining enough sleep?

• Ansel Averitte wins state

Stereotypes of STEM persist

• Ansel Averitte wins state

New ways to deal with technology

• Ansel Averitte wins state

Robotics and chess: thriving clubs at NDP

• Ansel Averitte wins state

Technology addiction concerns educators

Ansel Averitte wins state