Volley On!

Hectic and successful week for NDP volleyball

From left, Lindsay DesMarais, Sophia Graziano, Michelle Gienko, Sayler Butters, Nicole Shuhandler, Sophia Sydenham, and Devin Douglas share a laugh after a victory (Dwayne Douglas/Special to The Seraphim)

By Amelie Young, Staff Writer

Playing 10 matches in one week can be hectic when schoolwork is piled on too.

The Saints’ Varsity Volleyball team began the week with a victory against Sunnyslope High School on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. The team also won against Liberty High School on Thursday, Sept. 21. On top of these two matches, the team participated in the Westwood Tournament over the weekend in Mesa.

The volleyball team, a Division 5A team, competed with other schools in Divisions 5A and 6A, and finished fifth overall in the tournament, with a 6-2 record. Oscar Varela, a fan and faculty member of Notre Dame Prep, credited team effort for the Saints’ success. Among the main contributors to the success of the team: Sophia Sydenham and Nicole Shuhandler with spectacular hits, and Sayler Butters with a relentless defensive performance.  Butters, a senior, added to her busy schedule by traveling to West Point, New York, to accept an offer from the United States Military Academy.

For all the players and coaches,  numerous matches in one week can be challenging at times.

Senior Devin Douglas stated, “It’s definitely hard to get used to having a bunch of games each week, but you learn to adjust. Sometimes it’s a bit overwhelming if your games are farther [away] than normal, but your teachers work with you if it’s too hard to handle.”

This weekend, the varsity team will participate in the Nike Tournament of Champions at Arizona State University’s Tempe campus.  On Oct. 12, they will travel to California to participate in the Southern California Invitational.

The Saints are off to a strong start and hold a season record of 8-2.

• A&E

Capstone: NDP journey from Grade 9 to Grade 12

• News

Exceptional poem written by an NDP Senior

• Volley On!

Fine arts are on the rise

• Volley On!

Examples of dialogue: three student voices

• Volley On!

Solutions to sleep deprivation

• Volley On!

Are high school students gaining enough sleep?

• Volley On!

Stereotypes of STEM persist

• Volley On!

New ways to deal with technology

• Volley On!

Robotics and chess: thriving clubs at NDP

• Volley On!

Technology addiction concerns educators

Volley On!