Cooking in Chemistry

A multi-colored cake baked for the 2016 chemistry project (Melissa Riordan/NDP Staff)

By Sarah Ziemann, Staff Writer

Every fall, Chemistry Lab 202 smells like sweet and splendid confection sugar for one day. This is due to the annual baking project in Honors Chemistry. The students are assigned the task of baking a colorful dessert without using artificial food dyes. Many students have tried blueberries, beets, strawberries, kale, and other natural foods, yet it is extremely difficult to create a vibrant color without some sort of artificial dye. The three classes of Honors Chemistry, taught by Mrs. Riordan, all brought in samples of their desserts with a completed lab report on Wednesday, September 25, 2017. The project is assigned to learn about physical and chemical changes, chemical reactions, the power of food dyes, and dimensional analysis.

“It’s important for students to make real world connections,” Riordan stated. “Baking is something that everybody does.”

The (regular) Chemistry classes also baked desserts; however, they did not need to try to make their special treat colorful. Chemistry can be a difficult subject, but it is certainly more fun with real world projects and tasty, sweet examples!

Gillian McCauley and Kelly Ortega’s colorful cupcakes before being baked (Kelly Ortega/Special to The Seraphim)