A Paved Paradise: Seniors flash painting skills

Seniors paint their own parking spaces

Drone view of senior parking lot

By Rose Tuft, Staff Writer

For the first time ever at Notre Dame Preparatory High School, seniors were allowed to reserve a parking spot and paint on it with a design of their choosing. Students had to use water-based exterior latex paint, but the rest was up to them to design. This article will showcase five different spots, each with its own creative story and artist behind it.

The painting was completed in two days, August 1 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and August 5 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The price to pay to reserve a spot in the senior lot was $25.

This creative idea was suggested by senior Kaden Macor. He had originally seen the concept of painting parking spots at a school in Iowa and thought it was a fun idea and great way to raise money for the school.

When asked how he went about getting the idea approved, Macor stated,“I went to the student activities coordinator, Brenda Beers, and asked her if she would be willing to implement this program.”

She loved the idea, and three months later, it was approved and parking permits were put up for sale for incoming seniors.

Rachel Sipes poses next to eggs served over-easy

Rachel Sipes, this year’s captain of the varsity girls softball team, chose to create her spot in the image of eggs over easy.

When asked why she chose eggs, she replied, “I eat eggs a lot, one of the staple meals in my diet.”

She saw  a similar design online and decided to make her own, due to her love of eggs.

Sipes took advantage of both painting days, spending four hours on August 1 and around half an hour on August 5.

Niki D’Agostino’s spot features an image from the house of “Up” (Rose Tuft/The Seraphim)

Nikole D’agostino’s parking spot took, by far, the most time out of these featured spots. She spent seven hours on the first painting day and two hours on the second day.
Her spot is the house from the Disney movie “Up”, featuring a famous quote

from the movie. “Thanks for the adventure, now go have a new one”.

“Up” is her favorite movie so she instantly had an idea of what she wanted her spot to be as soon as she became aware of the painting opportunity.

D’agostino believes that the message of the film is “very fitting for senior year.”

She described the whole day as a “really fun experience, even though I got very sunburned.

Joshua Babu sits by his spot, modeled after a keyboard with paint splatters. (Rose Tuft/The Seraphim)

Babu is a member of the jazz ensemble and has a passion for music, so he decided to direct that passion towards his parking spot. He began his spot by simply splattering paint all over to create a baseline for the keyboard. He then went over this splattering with black paint to produce the likeness of a piano.

Babu said “piano was the first instrument I ever learned.” He thought it would be fun to add a splash of color.

The entire painting extravaganza lasted from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the first day for Babu’s particular spot.

Babu said the process of how each student was assigned a spot was basically first- come, first-serve. He arrived at school “super early”  at 7 a.m., in order to get the spot he desired.
Babu thought the parking spots were a great idea, considering that students attend school in uniform.

Babu stated, “it’s a great way for the senior class to express itself.”

Annalise Kaine is pictured squatting next to her spot featuring Doodle Bob (Rose Tuft/The Seraphim)

Annalise Kane took a unique approach to painting her parking spot. She dedicated her spot to her favorite episode of SpongeBob

When asked why she decided to focus on DoodleBob for her spot, Kane said, “I thought maybe it would give a smile to other people’s faces when they’re in the parking lot passing by.”Squarepants. In this episode SpongeBob brings to life his doppelgänger, DoodleBob, whose trademark is uttering the gibberish phrase, “Me hoy minoy.”

Kane managed to finish her spot by using the second day for painting. Compared to the lengthy process of other spots, Kane’s was completed in just under three hours, yet she still produced the charm of a spot that required twice the time. Kane was helped by fellow senior, Piper Mitten, which explains how it was painted relatively quickly.

Kane added that she loved how the parking spots “let all the students express themselves” she added with a laugh, “ [ the faculty ] definitely needs to figure out a way to get the paint off at the end of the year.”

Marihana Chapman sits on her sunflower parking spot . (Rose Tuft/The Seraphim)

Marihana Chapman, known simply as Hannah, decided to portray a sunflower on her spot. She found a similar design on Pinterest, but decided to make it her own in a unique way. She described the painting process as “very tiring; it was very hot outside.”

“It was a lot more work than I thought,”  she said.It took Chapman around four hours to complete.

Luckily, Chapman was not in this alone. Katelyn Halmekangas was there to lend a helping hand.

“I would say the majority of people had help from one or two people,” Chapman added.