Campus alive with ‘The Sound of Music’

Sophie Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Considering the lack of hills in Scottsdale, let’s just say the McDowell Mountains will be unusually melodious this spring.

NDP’s thespians will channel their talents of song and dance once again for the spring  musical The Sound of Music.

Bonnie Wilson, theatre director, said, “Audiences already know and love this musical, so we hope to have sold-out crowds every night.”

The play will debut at 7 p.m. on Friday, March 10, with subsequent evening showings on Saturday, March 11, Friday, March 17, and Saturday, March 18. Matinees are set for 2 p.m. on Saturdays March 11 and 18.

Lauren Lord, senior member of Drama Club, said it is a perfect fit for the students participating because it is a “girl-centered show.” This will be a bit of a reversal from her past musicals at NDP, in which leads were predominantly male because “that was where the talent was.”

Expressing her enthusiasm for the choice in production, she described it as a “lovely musical” with a positive message.

There are around six major roles plus the parts for the six Von Trapp children; Wilson is actively seeking elementary schoolers or NDP students under 5-foot to play the parts of the children.

Auditions took place last week and this week and continued with callbacks Saturday morning.

First-time auditioner senior Natalie Brodar said that although she was nervous at first singing and performing a monologue in front of others, she soon felt comfortable and welcome.

“My hopes are that I get closer with a lot of new people and that I have a fun time doing something different,” Brodar said. “I also hope that they don’t make their first cut, and it’s me,” she added with a laugh.

Lord is excited about the relatively large number of auditions because during the course of preparation for the show, “everyone becomes friends.” After four years, the thought of her last musical of high school is “absolutely terrifying.”

Offering words of wisdom to the student body, Wilson said, “Never turn down the opportunity to have music in your life.”

Campus alive with ‘The Sound of Music’