7 favorite chicken fingers

Our plugs for tasty Valley nugs

Sam Hertle and Cassidy Mannier, Staff Writers

nugs-not-drugs

Why did the chicken cross the road, you ask? The answer remains a mystery, but he sure tasted good on the other side.

There is no better way to take advantage of a teenage metabolism than to fill your stomach with chicken fingers.

With the growing variety of restaurants and food stops coming to the Valley, there are a few places’ chicken nuggets that are worth the visit. Based upon price, quality, quantity, taste, availability of sauces and overall experience with the chicken, here are seven to-die-for chicken strips and nuggets worth a try.

1) Cane’s

Known by all on campus as the “go-to” for lunch on early-release days, dinner after practices and the best senior snack attack all year, Cane’s earns a high spot in the chicken finger competition. Students constantly rave over the classic serving of three chicken strips, accompanied by fries and the famous Texas Toast.

Senior Sydney Egan, who in the past week began her first shift as a new Cane’s employee, said she dines at the restaurant an average of “three to four times a week.”

So what makes Cane’s so popular? Senior Henry Lyons answered in one simple word: “sauce.” A unique quality of Cane’s is the special Cane’s sauce only the restaurant offers. The tasty house-made sauce is the perfect addition to the chicken strips.

Egan added, “Our chicken is the best because it’s fresh -made for every order and is delicious.”

Considering the quantity of Cane’s servings is larger than most other restaurants, the 381 calories and 7 grams of fat in the three chicken strips are fairly acceptable. However, if indulging in the delicious Cane’s meal, one should be prepared to leave with a thinner wallet, as the chicken strips alone are $3.27.

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-10-42-31-am raising-canes-chicken-fingers
2) McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets

In recent years, McDonald’s has in many ways fallen out of favor. After the release of “Supersize Me” in 2004, McDonald’s lovers all over have been nearly shamed into hiding. However, don’t lose faith in the classic American chain yet: a number of  advocates of the classic McNuggets live on.

In fact, alumni Miguel Mariscal (and former McDonald’s employee) said nuggets from McDonald’s are his favorite, behind only Burger King’s “chicken fries.”

The original order of four McNuggets consists of 180 calories and 13 grams of fat. The affordable price of the four-piece meal is only $1.99.

According to Mariscal, “There are only four shapes: bone, ball, bell and boot. Compared to Burger King nuggets, McNuggets are bigger in size and have a larger meat to breading ratio.”

McDonald’s offers eight sauces to accompany these nuggets: Sweet ‘n Sour, Honey Mustard, Chipotle BBQ, Tangy Barbecue, Spicy Buffalo, Sweet Chili, Hot Mustard and Creamy Ranch.

“I think my favorite sauce with McNuggets is Sweet ‘n Sour, with Ranch close behind,” said Mariscal. 

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-10-42-22-am

optimized-mcdonalds3) Chick-fil-A

The slogan itself says it all: “Eat Mor Chikin,” music to the ears of the nugget-loving crowd. Except for, of course, on Sundays, Chick-Fil-A is by far one of the most sought out restaurants to satiate a nugget-craving. Whether it be the chipper employees, the crazy cow mascot or the tasty nuggets in general, Chick-Fil-A attracts a multitude of the NDP population.

The restaurant offers seven yummy sauces to dip your nuggets: Honey Roasted BBQ, Chick-Fil-a, Polynesian, Honey Mustard, BBQ, Ranch and Buffalo. The eight-piece serving of nuggets includes 270 calories and 13 gram of fat, which again, is not terrible considering the larger quantity compared to other restaurants. The pricing of Chick-Fil-A seems to fall mildly above average in the fast food game, as eight-pieces are $3.05.

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-10-42-41-am

optimized-cfa

4) Kentucky Fried Chicken

Although only one restaurant in the chain remains in Scottsdale, KFC is a favorite among many students. Seniors Brij Kathuria, Courtney Tully and Alyssa Williams unanimously agreed that the variety of fried chicken offered, instead of the basic strip, authenticates the food and fits the menu for the true fried chicken lovers.

Williams excitedly highlighted the “perfectly seasoned” crust of the chicken when she described why she drives out of her way to satisfy her KFC craving. The low price per piece of chicken is what makes KFC stand out.

12 pieces of chicken is only $20.49, enough to serve 4 people.

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-10-42-50-amoptimized-kfc
5) Shogun Katsu Chicken

A rare find among Caterpillar rolls and edamame, Shogun Sushi offers Katsu Chicken dinner, which is a traditional dish that consists of a very thin deep-fried chicken cutlet that is cut into bite size strips. The small restaurant is tucked in the corner of a strip mall on the corner of Tatum and Cactus, at 12615 N. Tatum Blvd.

Although the name is not well-known, these chicken strips are to die for. They are craftily crusted with panko bread crumbs and tenderized to ensure the chicken quality is perfect. It comes with a soy sauce-based dipping sauce that pairs perfectly with the chicken. The Katsu Chicken dinner, which costs $15, comes with rice, soup and salad, and although it is a bit pricier than other options, the portions are made for a hungry stomach.

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-10-42-57-amoptimized-shogun
6) Red Robin Clucks and Fries

With two conveniently located chains of Red Robin in Scottsdale, these chicken fingers are easy to come across. Many are surprised when they first try the “Clucks and Fries”; the chicken is perfectly crusted, and the price is just as satisfying.

They stand out among other strips because of the Bleu Cheese Dipping sauce, which is perfectly paired. Sadly, the nutrition facts for this menu item are not the most settling. The meal, which includes bottomless steak fries, totals $10, which is not too hard on the wallet for a full meal.

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-10-43-05-am

optimized-rr

7) Dino Nuggets

To say it simply, senior Elle Haugland defines Dino Nuggets as “the best thing ever created.” Dino Nuggets can be purchased at many industrial bulk grocery stores, such as Costco, Sam’s Club or Walmart. They are found in the frozen section in a box of roughly 40, but the phrase quality over quantity does not apply here.

“Rather shocking” was the phrase Haugland used to tell how tasty the chicken is, especially when compared to the rather “stale and yucky” taste of other frozen nuggets. If willing to make the investment in such a large number of nuggets, the $8 is $8 well spent. Also, they are a bit healthier because they are baked rather than deep-fried. “Plus, they’re shaped like dinosaurs,” Haugland reminded us. “Who doesn’t like dinosaurs?”screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-10-43-24-amoptimized-dino-chicken-nuggets

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Top Stories

‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Deep dive: online vs. traditional education

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Commentary

Top memories for Class of ’17

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Competition taking over American life

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

Planning a future in medicine?

• 7 favorite chicken fingers

7 Saints doing cool things

7 favorite chicken fingers