‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight

Johnson to play 'dream role'

Lizzy Smiley, Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Kimberly Haub
The curtains open at 7 p.m. tonight for the cast of “The Sound of Music.”

Every year NDP puts on play after play that never fails to amaze those who attend. This year, starting tonight, NDP will put on The Sound of Music, and tickets are being sold currently on the school website.

Tickets for students with ID will be $5 at matinee performances and $8 at night performances. Show dates are March 10, 11, 17, and 18 at 7 p.m. March 11 and 18 also have matinee performances at 1 p.m.

Seniors Gabi Johnson and Natalie Brodar are both participating in this play. Johnson, playing the lead role Maria, has participated in nearly 20 plays at NDP while this will be Brodar’s first. They and the rest of the cast have been working every day after school for several hours and on weekends.

Brodar said, “I think I’m most excited about all of my friends who have never been to a drama production before to see the musical and appreciate all of the ridiculously talented people at NDP.”

She is also excited to showcase everyone’s hard work, and she is proud to be a part of this production and to end her high school career on a high note.

Johnson “is very excited to play this role because it has been a dream ever since I was a little girl and would watch The Sound of Music with my dad.”

Director Bonnie Wilson said there are several seniors with major roles in the play as well as several newcomers. This play was chosen primarily because of its surplus of girls’ roles, she said. There are many more girls than boys who participate in the productions, so it was the ideal play to choose to accommodate the students.

For a complete cast list, click here.

Another senior involved in the production is Renee Grambihler. While most people are familiar with actors and actresses on stage, the majority are not familiar with stage managing. Grambihler began her stage managing career in tech sophomore year.

For Grambihler, tech can be the easiest and the most challenging job. She doesn’t have to worry about looking nice on stage or memorizing lines, lyrics and dance moves, but it can be a thankless job because most people don’t think about the work they do in tech.

However, the ups and downs are all worth it for Grambihler because she gets to work and do what she is passionate about, and she gets to spend time with her drama friends who have basically become her family.

She is co-managing with another senior, Abby Schaefer. The two of them work together to make sure the play runs smoothly.

“I do paperwork, oversee tech construction, and make sure things are running smoothly. And when we come to the actual show, Abby and I will run it: we will call cues, places, tell lighting to flicker the house lights and start the show,” Grambihler said. “It’s all ours at that point, but we have to get there first.”

And this work takes time, but when it comes to the show, it is all worth it for those behind the scenes as well as the thespians to see their hard work in action and entertaining the audience.

• ‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight

Around Campus

A Paved Paradise: Seniors flash painting skills

• Features

A New Mission for this Marine: Teaching and Coaching

• Features

Forging a Leadership Legacy: Principal Platt

• ‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight

Religion

The New Chaplain in Town: Father Kurt

• A&E

Notre Dame’s Guitar and Jazz Program

• Around Campus

Get Involved: September Club Fair

• ‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight

News

Eight New Aspects of Notre Dame Prep

• ‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• ‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

• ‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

‘Sound of Music’ debuts tonight