HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

NDP community gathering together to help on HopeKids Day

Ryan Mendieta, Staff Writer

More than 700 kids attended the seventh annual HopeKids Day on Saturday, Jan. 28, with most of NDP’s club providing entertainment for the children.

This event was organized by Director of Student Activities Brenda Beers, as well as NDP seniors, Brij Kathuria, Angela Patrick, Haley Kenner and Erica Wiskerchen.

Now in its sixth year, hosting HopeKids Day has become an NDP tradition. This event is just a small glimpse of what NDP is like as a community and what it can do when united and what it means to give back to others

Kathuria said there were about 700 people there, including the kids’ family members, and called the day a huge success. It provides a fun day out for terminally ill children and there families. The campus is turned into a carnival, with rides, crafts, lunch and treats, and a petting zoo.

“I organized the clubs and all the activities they were involved in,” Kathuria said. “We had several meetings and in total had about 20-25 hours put into this special event.”

One of the most memorable things he said happened was when “a kid named Joseph won the cake walk and was immediately filled with joy.”

Another NDP student who decided to give up the Saturday morning to help make this day special was senior Harrison Geesey. He said he “had a blast” volunteering with the Drama Club.

“I served with the Drama Club and made pipe cleaner Cowboys and also handed out shirt badges and mustaches to the kids,” he said, adding that he was only there for a couple of hours, but it was enough to see he made an impact.

“My favorite part was when a cute kid made a Moose instead of a Cowboy like all the other kids were doing.”

Another volunteer who had a memorable time was  senior Tara Murin.

“I worked the arts and crafts table and decorated the sheriff’s badges that Harrison used. It ended up leading to decorating arts and crafts because that is what the kids wanted.”

Murin said she stayed for the whole day and enjoyed every minute of it. “The most enjoyable thing of the day was watching the kids express themselves and being creative. Although it was several hours, it went by very fast because I was so busy.”

Director of Christian Service Learning Leslie Gjerstad approved this event for Christian service hours, but many volunteers had already completed their hours and wanted to be there for the children.

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Top Stories

‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Deep dive: online vs. traditional education

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Commentary

Top memories for Class of ’17

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Competition taking over American life

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

Planning a future in medicine?

• HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’

7 Saints doing cool things

HopeKids Day a ‘huge success’