What to look forward to in 2017

This is a simulated design for the library remodeling project that will happen during the Christmas break.

Antonio Wycklendt, Staff Writer

As the 2016 year comes to a close, many are hopeful and excited for what the 2017 year has in store.

At NDP, students can expect some pretty neat things to happen around school and throughout the Valley.

1.First and foremost, the campus is undergoing a major change. The most evident change students can expect is the library remodeling because the school needs more classroom space due to the growing student body.

According to president Jim Gmelich, the library will be transformed into a “modern cooperative learning space for students.” The work will be done over Christmas break.

Senior Ian Maddock said, “It sounds like the right thing to do. I just hope it becomes a place to go during lunch again.”

2. For all you T-Mobile carriers out there, T-Mobile plans to submit an application to the city of Scottsdale to replace the current antennas located on the baseball field light poles right here on NDP campus. Users can expect a better signal due to the increase in elevation of the new long quad port antenna arrays.

“Hopefully, I won’t have a bad signal anymore around school. It’s really annoying when it takes forever to send a simple text,” said senior Nick Rice.

3. For all you college basketball fans out there, the NCAA has selected Arizona to host the men’s basketball Final Four at the University of Phoenix stadium April 1 and 3 in Glendale. This will be the first time since 1995 that the Final Four games will be hosted west of the state of Texas.

This event “could generate $100 million to $150 million in economic impact,” according to Jeff Metcalfe of azcentral sports. Tickets are already on sale.

4. Another cool thing happening in the Valley is the Desert Gardens Rock, Gem and Mineral Show. Located in Quartzsite, this expo will take place Jan. 1 through Feb. 28 and will feature hundreds of vendors selling some of the most unique rocks found throughout the world. The best part is that admission and parking are free.

5. Last but not least, going to concerts is a popular activity for residents all across the Valley. In 2017, you can expect some of the biggest concerts, with artist ranging from Ariana Grande to Juicy J and even the Weeknd. Many of these will kick off within the first month of 2017 ,so be sure to grab some tickets and go jam out with your friends.

• What to look forward to in 2017

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• What to look forward to in 2017

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

• What to look forward to in 2017

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

• What to look forward to in 2017

Top Stories

‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

• What to look forward to in 2017

Deep dive: online vs. traditional education

• What to look forward to in 2017

Commentary

Top memories for Class of ’17

• What to look forward to in 2017

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• What to look forward to in 2017

Competition taking over American life

• What to look forward to in 2017

Planning a future in medicine?

• What to look forward to in 2017

7 Saints doing cool things

What to look forward to in 2017