Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Megan Rakers, Staff Writer

As Christmas approaches, so does the gift-giving season. Picking out the perfect gift can be a challenge, but knowing what gifts are popular can make the process much easier.

• Socks

Socks are not typically the first thought when it comes to ideal Christmas gifts. But the power of a nice pair of fuzzy socks can’t be overlooked.

According to senior Emma Nowicki, “Fuzzy socks are the nicest presents because they keep me cozy when it’s so cold out.”

• Eyeshadow palettes

While not the cheapest of all gifts, eyeshadow palettes commonly grace the Christmas lists of teenage girls, specifically for the aforementioned reason: they’re expensive. Not many girls are willing to spend that money themselves, so they’re frequently asked for as gifts.

Some of the most popular palettes this year include Modern Renaissance by Anastasia Beverly Hills, the Naked palettes by Urban Decay, and the Tarteist Pro Amazonian Clay palette by Tarte.

“They’re not cheap, so I always ask for them as birthday or Christmas presents,” said senior Renee Grambihler, “but they last a long time and provide a lot of different options, so they make amazing gifts.”

Although these palettes weight in at $42, $54 and $53 respectively, the good news is that as the holidays approach, so do lots of sales. And if the recipient isn’t too picky about name brands, it’s also possible to find cheaper alternatives to the more expensive palettes, without breaking the bank.

• Gift cards

Although some people might take offense at a gift card for being impersonal or lazy on the part of the giver, gift cards are a safe option for the majority of people.

This year, some of the most-wanted gift cards are for Amazon, Sephora, Target, Starbucks, and Nordstrom.

It’s not always easy to know what to get for everyone on your list, especially in the cases of specific items like clothing or music. It’s difficult to commit to a gift without knowing what the recipient likes or what he or she already owns.

In these cases, gift cards are the best option. They’re simple and easy and allow the recipient to get exactly what they want without paying a dime.

For more gift ideas, see NDP Live’s new video featuring NDP students around campus sharing what gifts they’re hoping for this Christmas.

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Top Stories

‘Sound of Music’ warms audience’s hearts

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Deep dive: online vs. traditional education

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Commentary

Top memories for Class of ’17

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Competition taking over American life

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

Planning a future in medicine?

• Popular gift ideas for Christmas

7 Saints doing cool things

Popular gift ideas for Christmas