Drama kills it with ‘Murder’s in the Heir’

Samantha Torre, Editor-in-Chief

When I had to park behind the gym to go see Murder’s in the Heir in the cafeteria opening night, I knew I was in for a good show.

NDP’s interactive murder mystery was staged Oct. 13-15 with two 7 p.m. shows and a matinee show at 2. Being the first show at NDP where the audience got to choose how it ends, I was interested in seeing how it turned out. Here’s a quick review in case you missed it. (Just don’t miss the winter musical.)

Murder’s in the Heir started off with two novice directors — played by juniors Steven Schwartz and Jessica Egan — who had had a bit of trouble deciding how to end their play. Thus, the two decided to let the audience choose who is the murderer of the story and go off of that.

Next we were introduced to a motley crew of relatives who have all come to the mansion of Mr. Starkweather (junior Ben Davis), a billionaire in his last days, to discuss his will. These characters range in personality from the goody two shoes Paula Thompson (senior Gracie Doan), to Rufus (freshman Oliver Kedish), the clueless handyman who delivers a majority of the comedic lines.

All the characters had something distinct about them that made them memorable. We learned about these characters so that we could make a sound decision on the future murderer. Later on, Mr. Starkweather threw a curveball and decided he would not give any of his family members a piece of his inheritance. A few hours later, Mr. Starkweather was murdered.

I would reveal how the play ends, but I cannot because how it ended for you might have been different from how I saw it end. This is what makes Murder’s in the Heir so brilliant. Making my decision as to whom I wanted to see as the murderer was difficult because all of the options were interesting.

The characters each gave up a tad of information, but there was no obvious murderer. It was fair game for everyone. This worked out well because there’s a character that could fit any audience member’s choice.

This play called for lots of sound effects and lighting, which NDP definitely delivered on. It was great to see a small theatrical space with restrictions on tech fully perform. The set was made to look like Mr. Starkweather’s living room in his mansion, which gave a relaxed vibe in the beginning of the play, but became more eerie as the show progressed.

No matter whom you chose as the murderer, the ending was satisfying. It had witty jokes, but it wasn’t a comedy. It had those dramatic moments with sound effects that follow immediately, but it wasn’t a cheesy horror story. It was truly a one-of-its-kind show.

• Drama kills it with ‘Murder’s in the Heir’

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

Top Stories

8 highlights of ‘A Tale as Old as Time’

Top Stories

Increase in new teachers likely next year

Top Stories

‘Sound of Music’ warms audience hearts

Commentary

’17’s NDP memories

Top Stories

Changes ahead for new school year

7 Saints doing cool things

News

Neon Dance sets record

• Trending

Monday: AP testing, awards follow-up

10 ways to pass your AP exams